Martha Sandweiss is recognized as one of the country’s foremost experts in the history of photography in particular and visual culture generally. Her most recent work was awarded the Organization of American Historian’s “Ray Allen Billington Prize.”
- Print the Legend: Photography and the American West (Yale University Press, 2002). Paperback edition, 2004.
- Co-editor with Clyde A. Milner and Carol A. O’Connor, The Oxford History of the American West(Oxford University Press, 1994).
- Editor and Contributor, Photography in Nineteenth-Century America, (Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1991)
- With Rick Stewart, Eyewitness to War: Prints and Daguerreotypes of the Mexican War, 1846-1848(Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989)
- Editor and Introduction, Elizabeth W. Forster and Laura Gilpin, Denizens of the Desert (University of New Mexico Press, 1988)
- Laura Gilpin: An Enduring Grace (Amon Carter Museum, 1986)
- Editor, Contemporary Texas: A P
- hotographic Portrait (Texas Monthly Press, 1985)
- Editor, Historic Texas: A Photographic Portrait (Texas Monthly Press, 1985)
- Masterworks of American Photography: The Amon Carter Museum Collection (OxmoorHouse, 1982)
- Carlotta Corpron: Designer with Light (University of Texas Press, 1980)
- Pictures from an Expedition: Early Views of the American West (Exhibitioncatalogue: Yale University Art Gallery, 1978)
The exhibition gallery is closed while the library's building is under renovation.
Temporary Reading Room Hours
Monday - Friday: 9 am to 4:45 pm
The temporary reading room is located in Yale's Sterling Memorial Library, across Wall Street from the Beinecke.
Beginnig September 6, 2016 our hours will be
Monday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Tuesday-Thursday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. to 5