Visiting Graduate Student Fellowships
The Beinecke Library offers a limited number of fellowships for non-Yale graduate students (doctoral candidates) wishing to conduct primary research for their dissertations or doctoral thesis. These fellowships are extremely competitive. Only applicants demonstrating a need for in-depth consultation of Beinecke materials will receive serious consideration.
Granted for one, two, or three months, fellowships must be taken up between June 1 and August 31, 2019. The fellowships pay for travel costs to and from New Haven and a living allowance of $3,000 per month.
Recipients are expected to be in residence during the period of their award and are encouraged to participate in the activities of Yale University. Please note that attendance will be monitored and stipends will be adjusted to reflect shortened research period. Split fellowship periods will not be granted. Awarded fellows may not hold concurrent teaching positions or any concurrent fellowships.
At the end of the research period, fellows are also asked to provide a brief statement indicating how this fellowship support was used to accomplish research goals.
Graduate students seeking these fellowships must be currently enrolled in a PhD/doctoral program and must have completed their course work, passed their qualifying examinations, and be prepared to pursue research based upon an approved dissertation prospectus/proposal.
All application materials must be received by November 1, 2018. Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- an online application form
- a curriculum vitae
- a proposal (1200 word maximum) explaining in detail the specific relationship between the Beinecke Collections and the applicant’s research
- a detailed list of specific research materials to be consulted at Beinecke during your fellowship
- two confidential letters of recommendation sent to the Fellowship Coordinator, one of which must come from the principal director of the applicant’s dissertation
- an approved dissertation prospectus/proposal
The Beinecke Library will not accept re-submissions of materials. Once an application or letter of reference has been submitted, the Beinecke will not accept a revision.
Awards will be announced approximately eight weeks following application deadlines.