Detailed reading room appointment instructions
Beinecke Library’s reading room is open to Yale students, faculty, and staff who are authorized to be on campus. Students who have questions about their campus access should write to email@example.com or check the Yale Hub. Faculty and staff with questions about campus access should check with their department.
Before your visit
When making plans to visit the reading room, you need to complete two separate procedures. (Note: one of these procedures is new and was added to aid the library in following pandemic protocols.)
(new!) Make a reservation for the reading room on the date you plan to visit.
- Visit this site to make your reservation: https://schedule.yale.edu/reserve/spaces/beineckeresearch You will need to login with your Yale CAS credentials. You must click through “Submit my booking” to complete your reservation.
- You will receive an email confirmation for your booking.
- Reservations must be made at least two business days prior to your visit.
Locate and request the material you wish to see using Archives at Yale or Orbis.
- If you need help with searching, contact a curator or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- These search interfaces will lead you, via links that say “Request,” to Aeon, our requesting system. If you are not already registered in Aeon, you will be able to register in the process of making your first request.
- The date of your request must match the date of your reading room reservation.
If you have questions about this process or want to confirm that your reservation was received, you can write to email@example.com.
During your visit
- Bring your Yale ID with you for your visit.
- Our entrance is currently at the back of the building, on the west side (the side facing the Law School).
- You will need to lock up your belongings in our lockers when you arrive. Laptops, paper, library-provided pencils, cell phones, and cameras are permitted in the reading room.
- Please follow the Covid mitigation procedures outlined in our documents and signage.
- Restrooms are open onsite, but our lounge is closed.
Find out more about reading room policies and procedures on our website.