The Gutenberg Bible is the first Western book printed from movable type.
The Yale copy of the Gutenberg Bible was a gift by Mrs. Edward S. Harkness to the University in 1926, in memory of her mother-in-law, Mrs. Stephen V. Harkness. The copy was acquired by the Philadelphia bookseller and collector A.S.W. Rosenbach at a February 15, 1926 auction at Anderson Galleries in New York City. The copy had been in the collections of the Benedictine monastery of Melk, in Austria, before being sold in 1925 to the British bookseller, Edward Goldston.