Hours & Accessibility
Reading Room (court level)
Yale University faculty, staff, and students
The Beinecke Library reading room is open to Yale University students, staff, and faculty authorized to be on campus. See Doing Research at the Beinecke Library for more information on use of the reading room on the court level. Current hours for the Yale community are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 9am – 4:30pm, and Wednesday, 10am – 4:30pm. A valid Yale ID is required for entrance to the building at these times. Yale students, staff, and faculty are also welcome to explore the exhibition hall during these weekday hours. View updates to Yale Library hours and services.
Researchers outside Yale University
As of April 11, Yale University Library has reopened special collections reading rooms to non-Yale researchers who are fully vaccinated and boosted and have not traveled outside the U.S. within the prior 15 days. Researchers will be required to register in the Yale Library special collections system, complete the University vaccine attestation process in advance of their visit, and show a copy of their approval email for admission to the library on the day of their visit. Plan your visit.
A reminder that all are welcome to access materials through the Beinecke Library’s Digital Collections as well as by requesting reproductions.
Public Exhibition Hall (ground floor and mezzanine)
Public visitors are welcome in the Beinecke Library exhibition hall on Monday and Tuesday 9am – 4:30pm; Wednesday, 10am – 4:30pm; Thursday and Friday, 9am – 4:30pm; and Saturday and Sunday, noon – 4pm. Note: closed on major holidays.
We are committed to the health and safety of our visitors and staff and follow Yale University policy. Please note and follow these guidelines:
- In accordance with Yale University policy, COVID-19 vaccination (including a booster, if eligible) is required for visitors five and older. You may be asked to present proof of vaccination. Unvaccinated children under the age of five are eligible to visit. Acceptable proof of vaccination includes: MyChart or other provider portal record; VAMS certificate; CDC card; CT WIZ official immunization record; Photo of a vaccination card, certificate, or record (or a photo stored in a digital wallet)
- Masking on campus is optional except in certain settings. Please refer to guidelines from Yale Environmental Health & Safety.
Additional health and safety guidelines:
- Physical distancing of six feet must be maintained.
- Hand-sanitizing stations are located throughout the building.
- Food and drinks are not permitted in the exhibition hall.
- In-person group visits cannot be accommodated, with the exception of Yale-led groups.
- To help protect visitors and staff, please stay home if you are feeling unwell, are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or have been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the past ten days.
Other notes for public visitors
- There are no public restrooms.
- Non-flash photography with a hand-held camera is permitted; tripods and selfie-sticks are not permitted.
- 121 Wall Street is accessible to people with mobility challenges. Visitors needing elevator access to and from the mezzanine level will be escorted by a security staff member. Elevator access is reserved for mobility-challenged visitors and library staff.
- Access to the court (lower) level is reserved for authorized researchers and classes on weekdays only.